Introducing Kayoung Kim

Mar 1, 2022

Introducing Kayoung Kim, Director of Scholarship of Teaching and Learning & Faculty Learning Communities

Kayoung Kim Headshot

What drew you to DU and the OTL?

Prior to joining the DU OTL, I have been a faculty member in the department of psychology and education at the University of Wisconsin-Fond du Lac, and in the department of psychology at Tennessee State University. My research expertise lies in the field of Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, and my work has focused on effective instructional practices, particularly on High Impact Practices (HIP), curriculum development and instructional technology, peer learning, and learning-outcomes assessment. With my professional expertise and interests in teaching and learning practices, OTL was a natural pull for me. OTL’s supportive approach in collaborative initiatives for faculty made it particularly appealing for me, as well as DU’s strong background in high-quality faculty development, and its commitment to excellence in teaching and respect for diversity. I am so excited to have become a member of this vibrant, collaborative, and supportive academic DU community.

In your role, how can you support faculty in relation to their career growth and development? How can they connect with you? 

As the Director of Scholarship of Teaching and Learning and Faculty Learning Communities, I work to shape a wide variety of programs that promote teaching, learning, and scholarly excellence across disciplines. In particular, I lead to inform and promote the culture of Scholarship of Teaching and Learning at DU as a form of scholarly teaching, and support faculty with all phases of their SoTL research process—from the development of project ideas and research design, selection of materials, analysis and interpretation of data, to presentation and publication of findings. I also collaborate with faculty partners and OTL staff to deliver and facilitate programs for faculty learning communities that support faculty at all stages of professional development. Faculty members can easily reach me via email, and I am happy to meet via Zoom chat.

What do you like to do when you aren’t supporting inclusive teaching/SoTL FLCs (i.e. for fun!)?

When I’m not at work, I enjoy spending time with my husband and two children. We pride ourselves on being eclectic foodies, and we are always doing one of these things: cooking, experimenting with recipes, eating, or watching all the cooking shows. I am also a ski bum and greatly enjoy visiting the snow-covered mountains with my family for some quality downhill skiing.

VPFA E-Newsletters